Sunday, March 3, 2013

Adoption

I have been thinking about doing this for awhile but I thought it would be weird to write about it on our blog but then I read my friend's blog who is writing about her experience and she suggested I should blog about it. Well there was my answer, I should blog about it.

To back up a little bit how this all got started, Tom and I will be married for 6 years come April 21st, we got married in 2007 and started trying for a child in May of 2009. I have always wanted to have kids biologically and I always wanted to adopt. I have had many conversations with Tom about wanting kids and adopting and Tom loved the idea of adopting. We both knew that we would never be super wealthy philanthropists and go out and give back. But we could do the next best thing give a child a home, where both parents love each other and love them and to be raised in the gospel to know that they have a Heavenly Father that loves them too also that they would have an eternal family. We have also toyed with the idea of being foster parents but I think that will come later down the road. Tom and I have had many experiences where we know it is the right decision to adopt at this time not to say we wont stop trying to have a baby biologically. Both of us are getting older and we want a family, Tom is done with school he has a good job where he can support a family. To share an experience that we had and we both knew come 2013 we will start that process of adopting a child. We were watching October General Conference Saturday afternoon all the talks were wonderful but one hit us both it was Elder Dallin H. Oaks "Protect the Children" http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/protect-the-children?lang=eng and we both knew we needed to do this, we both knew knew how we were going to add to our little family.... Adoption.

Now that you know a little bit of our background, will fast forward to now. We have been doing some research for awhile and if anyone has ever looked into adoption it can be overwhelming. I work for the City of Mesa and there was some type of advertisement going on our home page about a adoption Fair. I told Tom about it and I said this would be a good place for us to get started and to get some questions answered. On Saturday February 23rd we went to the Library where the fair was being held. We talked with all of the agencies that were there but there was one agency that we both liked and felt really comfortable talking with. We left the fair and felt like we had a lot of our questions answered. You could imagine what our conversation was like the whole afternoon, you guessed it ADOPTION. We both felt really good about one particular agency it was called A place to Call Home. This agency is run by the state, and we thought it would be a good fit for us to go through the state instead of a private company. That night I went online got an application and started filling out the 30 pages. I emailed the company stating that we are very interested in adopting, they asked for our application, and I sent it to them. I set up an interview and someone from the agency came out on March 1st and we had a hour interview and walk through letting us know the things we need to do to make sure our house it updated. Now the next process will be taking a 12 week training course and that starts March 26th.

We are both very excited, nervous and any other feeling you can have about adoption but more then anything we know it is the right thing to do.

Sorry for a boring post and it was all writing but this will be the best way to for us to document our process.

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! you guys will be awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of children waiting for the blessing of having a loving home and parents like you! I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so excited for you and for the lucky little ones you bring to your super fun & loving life! We love you & can't wait to hear updates! Vic & Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not boring at all...that's so exciting! My husband's brother adopted 5 kids through the state in CA and it has been really neat to see that all come about. I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its great your going to adopt! I look forward to hearing how things go and hope it all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is awesome, you guys. What a special thing to do. You are both going to make such great parents. I have friends who have adopted and I understand the process can be quite involved. If you guys need anything let us know if we can help. We may live far from you, but we'll be praying for you both that things will all fall into place. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So not boring! We're excited for you guys! Adoption is something I've always thought about, too, so I'm interested to see how your process goes. :) Can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete